Everything can deteriorate in time. It is the wear and tear process that makes our homes vulnerable to damage. And one of our worst nightmares is blocked drain pipes! All plumbing systems can clog up and it’s not something that you can totally avoid.
However, most kitchen sinks and toilets clog up at the most untimely situations. How many times did it happen when your toilet just will not flush when you have visitors at home? There are times that the sink refuses to drain while you are busy preparing a Thanksgiving dinner. Every time when emergency plumbing dilemmas arise, you are at a panicky mode.
Common Causes Of Blocked Pipes
Blocked drains are seriously bothersome. There are a number of factors why these drains are clogged up at the most unholy hours of the day. You have to treat the underlying cause. Below are some of the reasons why your drains are clogged up:
- The presence of foreign objects such as fats, hair, soap and food build-up can cause the drain pipe to be clogged up. Although the material will not fully block the drain at first. However, over time the material could eventually cause the pipes to be clogged.
- A heavy downpour of rain or storm can cause leaves and dirt to build-up and block the drains. Blocked drains are common during a storm since the large volumes of water are beyond the capacity of the drains itself.
- Issues related to your water flow can cause the drains to clog. Perhaps incorrect pipe installation with the inadequate flow can contribute to the build up of debris and particles. Once a broken pipe exists, the water cannot flow freely.
Dangers Of Blocked Drain Pipes
Blocked drains are very annoying and stressful. If you are someone who wants to keep your home clean, you have to address any blocked drain in your home. When small particles, grease, and random objects get stuck in the drain, you will surely experience a slower flow of the drain than the usual. If your blocked drains are not properly addressed, the stagnant water will surely put your house and your entire household in serious jeopardy.
Your blocked drain pipes can cause awful damage to your home.
- When water gets stagnant for a long period of time, it will eventually emit a musty odour. This offensive odour can permeate and diffuse into your home.
- Water can also leak into the corners and foundations of your house. Eventually, it can weaken the integrity of the structure including the walls and floorboards. To find out more about Foundation damage solutions Read: How to Avoid Water Damage to Your Homes Foundation
- The leaks can also cause discolouration, ugly water stains and warping or decking and timber floors.
- Stagnant water can serve as breeding ground for mosquitoes, insects, and pests which are vectors of nasty diseases. Water and moisture can also cause the growth of mildew and mould.
If you are already seeing this type of damage, it’s best to start investing where the water is leaking from.
A reliable plumber can provide the best, cost-efficient, and practical solutions for your clogged drain.
However, if you have some experience and want to try some DIY tips (and it’s not too late) here are our suggestions.
DIY Methods To Resolve Blocked Drain Pipes
If you have clogged drains and a professional plumber has not arrived yet, you can make use of some of the random things you might find at home to solve the problem:
- A mixture of vinegar and baking soda was said to clear drains easily. The fizzing action signifies a chemical reaction that can facilitate the removal of grime, gunk and hair. You have to be patient though repeating the process. Afterwards, you can flush the drains with hot water.
- Boiling water was said to resolve this clogged drain emergency. You simply bring a kettle full of water into a boil. You can pour the water into three stages allowing the water to work in between each pour.
- The use of caustic soda can help drain the blocked pipes. You need to grab a pair of rubber gloves and goggles to protect your eyes. Caustic soda is also known as sodium hydroxide can cause awful chemical burns. You should spend some time gathering the materials that you might need like mop bucket and cold water as well as old wooden spoon to stir the mixture. The mixture will fizz and build heat. You can finish off the drains with boiling water. Repeat the process until the drains are clear.
Get the Right Help
You should be wise enough to address the blocked drains appropriately.
As mentioned there are some DIY solutions you can attempt when it comes to blocked drains but if you lack the confidence and the skills to fix the plumbing dilemma, then, by all means, do not even attempt to fix it by yourself.
A reliable and credible plumber can provide the best, cost-efficient, and practical solutions for your clogged drains.
So if you think and suspect that the drains are blocked, contact a professional emergency plumber.
Had blocked drain pipes before?
What remedy worked for you for unclogging your drains?
We would love to hear from you!